Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|標題:||From the City Hall to A Cultural/Tourist Destination-The Transformation of Kaohsiung City Historical Museum
|關鍵字:||高雄市政府;高雄市役所;高雄州廳;高雄市立歷史博物;Kaohsiung City Hall;Kaohsiung City Administrative Office;Kaohsiung Provincial Office;Kaohsiung Museum of History||Project:||興大歷史學報, Issue 28, Page(s) 93-123.||摘要:||
Kaohsiung, the largest city in southern Taiwan, was founded in 1924. Since its establishment, the city's administration office had relocated twice: from the earliest site in Hamasen (now Dai Tien Fu), then to Yan Cheng (now Kaohsiung Historical Museum), and finally to SiWei Building till today. Among the three sites, the longest serving city hall is the one in Yan Cheng. The building was completed in 1939, and remained in service for 53 years till 1992 when the office was moved to Si Wei Building. Over half a century, this had been the seat of the city's administration, witnessing major events such as post-war takeover, the 228 Incident, and the city's promotion to municipality. The construction of the City Hall in Yan Cheng was a response to Kaohsiung's city planning during the Japanese rule. Under this scheme, a new City Hall (Kaohsiung City Adminstrative Center, KCAC) started construction, and was completed in 1939 in contemporary ＂imperial crown＂ (teikan yoshiki) style. One major characteristic of the imperial crown style buildings is a combination of western and Japanese features, such as Japanese-style roof with western-style façade. Toward the end of the Japanese rule, Kaohsiung has becoming the primary city for the ＂go south, do industrial＂ policy. Hence most of the imperial crown buildings are constructed in the city, with KCAC as the most representative among them. In 1945, Taiwan was taken over by the Republic of China. Originally the city hall was to be seated in the old Kaohsiung Provincial Office, but the building was destroyed during the war, hence the city hall was moved to Kaohsiung City Administrative Center, and stayed in the building for 47 years. During this period, Kaohsiung grew to a large city with a population of over a million, and earned municipality status. As the office had obviously outgrown the office, it was finally relocated to the new building in Si Wei Road in 1992. After the relocation, how to repurpose the old building became a topic of heated debates. It's eventually decided that it will be turned into Kaohsiung Museum of History, which is also the first historical museum managed by local government, and was launched in 1998. However, during the process, the annex at the back of the building was misidentified as a post-war extension, and was demolished due to low historical value. In fact, the rear annex had been there since the Japanese rule, the only post-war extension was the addition of the 3rd floor. Nevertheless, the building was re-designed, with the front section converted to Kaohsiung Museum of History, the rear section to a music hall and an exhibition hall, and had since become a popular destination for tourists visiting the city. After more than 60 years, the building continues to be one of the most important historical landmarks in the city.
|Appears in Collections:||第28期|
Show full item record
TAIR Related Article
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.